Sunday, September 26, 2010

A taste of fall

Even though it's been in the 90s around here and so not like fall, the trees still know that it's autumn. So I took Samantha for her first apple picking adventure. She loved every bit of it, but especially the chickens and roosters walking around the farm. She kept trying to follow them yelling 'bock, bock, bock".


We wound up with Golden Delicious, Red Delicious and Gala. Not my favorites for applesauce, but still good. So I thought I'd share my easy applesauce recipe because seriously, home made applesauce is one of my favorite things. There are about a billion ways to make applesauce, this is just what I do.


Core and cut about 3 lbs of apples and put them in a large pot. Add to it 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup brown sugar (you could use white sugar too, I just luv brown sugar) and 1 tsp cinnamon. I also throw in a cinnamon stick.

Bring it to a boil stirring occasionally and then let simmer for 20 mins. You can stir about every 5/10 minutes. The test to see if they are ready is just to push them on the skins with a fork. If it mushes, they are ready. In the meantime, your house will smell amazing from the cinnamon.

When I was younger we used to make this at my grandmothers. She used to use the old conical sieve with a pestle to push through the apples. She also used to hand quilt. I prefer modern conveniences - aka sewing machines and food processors. So at this point, transfer the apples and some juices to the food processor and blend it up to whatever thickness/lumpiness you like.


Voila! Homemade applesauce.  It freezes really well too.

1 comment:

SplendidlyImperfect said...

I'm lazy and make it in the crockpot then blend it in there with the immersion blender. You forgot to add that it's an awesome way to make your house all good smelling. I cannot attest to the flavor of my applesauce though, as I find it foul, foul, foul. Not just mine, applesauce in general.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...