Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Kids Clothing Week Challenge begins

You can still join us for the Kids Clothing Week Challenge. I won't be uploading any photos to the Flickr pool today though.

Day 1 served to remind me why I don't like sewing clothing patterns!  I'm not a fan of figuring out patterns and cutting them and dealing with the noisy tissue paper. Yesterday was a nice day and I had the window open. I had tissue paper and pattern pieces blowing around.

For me sewing clothing requires a lot of thought. So I can't chill out and listen to a podcast or tv show while I'm doing it. This pattern that I'm dealing with isn't written very well. There were things shown on the illustrations that were not mentioned in the directions.  But I did okay considering.  Maybe I should be doing the nice designer patterns I keep seeing, or maybe I'm even ready to do the adorable Japanese patterns like this one at Wee Wonderfuls blog. I seem to only be reading the illustrations for this one anyway!

Either way, I do love having a cute, unique item of clothing for my daughter when I'm done.

I always seem to learn something new on each pattern I do. This time it was pleats. I'm proud to say my pleats were beautiful the first time I did them.

What's that you say? That's the wrong size of the fabric!?  Hmm... the directions say to gather the pleats on the "inside" of the fabric. Oh well, they were beautiful and correct the second time.

I didn't finish the dress yesterday and I don't have photos of where I ended since sewing time ended with naptime and my daughter doesn't usually wake up happy. I should have it finished and have photos tomorrow.

I will leave you with one more photo though. Sewing clothing always makes me think of my mother. She always made matching dresses for my sister and I when we were small. Here is one example of our stylin' Christmas dresses (and seriously, I'm in trouble if I ever have a 2nd girl - I will do this to them). In case you are curious, I'm the little one with the curls.


1 comment:

SplendidlyImperfect said...

Those are so cute! I would totally do that to my kids too, haha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...