Monday, April 4, 2011

the onesie project

So you already saw the main part of my baby shower present for my sister, the nautical baby quilt. I also made some burp cloths for her. I also wanted to make some onesies for her and since I have a Silhouette that I don't use much anymore I thought I would try to use that for making these.  I bought some heat transfer material in purple and pink and also some of the new sewable interfacing.

I started with the heat transfer material. This stuff is awesome. All you do is cut your design out and iron it. Done!  Here are some of the onesies I made for her.
 That dark is actually purple, it didn't photograph well.  The pink one is a smaller size than the other one. As they get bigger they get to be more spice than sugar no?
 Nonna is what we call my mother. Since it's hard to find a "nonna" shirt, I figured I'd make one!
 I think this one is my favorite. My sister loves anchors and I couldn't figure out how to incorporate them. Finally this inspiration hit me.

One issue I had was that I started to feel frustrated that I only had purple and pink. I was excited and also ticked to learn that they have printable heat transfer material. This is exactly what I wanted!! You can print and cut your design in multiple colors.  I was only ticked because I didn't know about it sooner. I still have a few blank onesies, I may still get some of this and do a few. I can't get them done in time for the shower so we'll see.

After those I moved on to the sewable interfacing. This was more challenging. I would say if you decide to do clothing with this, do a bigger shirt than a onesie. The frustration for me was that everything required hand sewing because the onesie was too small to sew on my machine. I tried though! Not really a great idea. It's okay as long as you don't look to closely.

Overall, they both are great products. I still have a bunch of the interfacing and heat transfer left so I'll have to come up with more ideas for it. I think I see some pillows in my future!

I'm linking up to Sew Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations. Check out what everyone else has done this week here.
{Sew} Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations

8 comments:

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Super cute, Becky!!! Wow! I especially love the "I didn't nap today" shirt...especially given that my munchkin was up and climbing out of bed at midnight last night because he just wanted to play...

Linz said...

Those are ALL darling!! Thanks for sharing!

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

SO lovely! You made so many, they're really cute! I don't know anything about heat transferring, did you print the graphics on your computer, or...?

Jacey said...

Great idea! I've never tried anything like that before.

Susanne said...

These are great!!! I wish I would have known how to do this while my kids were in onesies!!!

Megan said...

Adorable! What a great idea! Thanks for linking up to {Sew} Modern Monday!

Monica_C said...

Great Onesies!!!! They are SO CUTE!!!
I have a Silhouette too, and I have only used it for paper- Awesome Idea for the heat transfer stuff- Looks like it does a nice job cutting out intricate designs... :-D

Kim @ craftyNHmom said...

Those are so CUTE! You make me want to use my
Silhouette machine. I got some of the interfacing a few weeks ago and haven't tried it yet. Thanks for the tip!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...