Friday, April 15, 2011

Commisioned quilt?

First of all, I have to thank the lovely Susanne of Susanne Loves for awarding me the Stylish blogger award again. This is despite my last post which included probably the most UNstylish photos of me ever!  Instead of boring you with another 7 facts about me (mostly because I really struggled with the first 7), I will encourage you to go visit Susanne. She's pretty hysterical, makes fantastic quilts and takes beautiful photos of them! And she can make a mean potholder (I should know, these live at my house!)

I'm also writing to share pictures of the beautiful fabric that arrived at my house yesterday....
I'm super excited. My mom wants me to make her a quilt and picked out Aviary 2 from Joel Dewberry. She's got good taste!
So is it a commissioned quilt when it's your mom? She is paying for it, but you know... it's my mom! I'm thinking that doesn't count.
She's decided on the Birdbath pattern from Elizabeth Hartman's The Practical Guide to Patchwork. But she wants me to make it King size.

Now we just need to decide on her solid for the backgrounds. She wants white because she lives in FL, I'm worried it will be a bit too stark against these fabrics. What do you think? I have to send these to her for her input. Not sure how much contrast she wants. Here's the batch with Kona Snow..
 And here it is with white...
I still have to order the solids for this one. Time to sit down with my Kona card.  I'm definitely excited to work on this one.

However, my Bernina seems to be giving me grief again. It's running like a freaking train. It's so loud. I'm having commuter flashbacks as I sew. Seriously, I'm not happy about it. Anyone have this happen to them? I know I run it hard, but I just had it serviced before the holidays. I've changed the needle and cleaned out the bobbin area several times. It runs quiet for about 5 minutes and then starts up again. I'm so aggravated. I need to limp it through this weekends PMQG sewing day. I'm afraid I'm going to have to forgo EQ7 to get myself a back up sewing machine with the way this thing keeps needing service. Any ideas?

8 comments:

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

Ooo I love that pattern, and I think it will look amazing with those fabrics!!

Kim @ craftyNHmom said...

Whoa, that's going to be gorgeous! Your mom's got great taste in fabric! I love that pattern, I'm really starting to be interested in quilting after seeing some of these amazing new pattern designs! It's been a few years since I've tried a quilt, they seem so much harder than garment sewing.

Andrew J said...

Oooh! I'm so jealous that you got some Aviary 2! It's one of my favorite new lines that are out right now, but I'm restraining myself from buying entire bolts of it! Haha.

Unknown said...

That is going to be a fantastic quilt. I love the pattern with those fabrics. I prefer the Snow to the White personally, but both are beautiful.

Jacey said...

You might consider Bone instead of Snow, but I would definitely go with one of the slightly off-whites over white. If it were me, I might also consider a pale yellow, but that might be too much yellow for your mom.

Sorry to hear about your machine! I wish I could help you figure out what's wrong, but I've been lucky so far with mine. *knocks wood*. How long have you had your machine?

Unknown said...

gorgeous fabrics.
Of course it will count as a comissioned quilt!
and a very special client this one!
You will think that you'll be making a quilt for the Royal Family - well at least here in the UK!
I am sure your Mom will love it.

Pity aboout your machine. Hope it is nothing too serious. Maybe a little rest and some TCL.
Gina

Elizabeth Dackson said...

I think I definitely agree with you - the white is too stark. The Snow is better, but still a pretty major contrast, although the Birdbath pattern is shown with big contrast and works well that way, so I think it would be OK. Good luck with your machine - I haven't been sewing long enough to offer much machine advice, but I would say if it's making that much racket, it sounds like it needs to be serviced. :(

Shanna of Fiber of All Sorts said...

I think the snow works better with this. Please don't tell my mother that she can do this to me. I hope you limp your machine along to get a service soon. I just had mine done and it's a dream again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...