Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Work in Progress Wednesday {15}

Okay, I feel like I've been getting a lot of fabric and nothing is getting done with it. Case in point, the above photo is about 8 yards of fabric. Gasp right!  These are for my kitchen curtains. One of the windows is about 6 feet long so really, it's not crazy to need so much. I'm just glad I don't do the stash report!
For those of you familiar with the above fabrics, yes, they have been reprinted. Those are Amy Butler Lotus prints and you can find them at Hawthorne Threads. I was really excited when I saw they've been reprinted because I've been looking for a cool red print for my kitchen curtains.


The one WIP I did manage to get completed this week was my bathroom curtains. You can see them here.



I've been doing a lot of work on my Make Mine Modern Swap, which I posted about on Monday.


This is a sneak peek at my monochromatic challenge. I'm totally using a lot of white. I'm hoping to create a certain effect with the colors. But to be honest I've been looking at this quilt way too much and I'm sick of it and not even sure I like it anymore. It needs to go away for a week or so so I can see it fresh again. Does that happen to you? What do you do to refresh yourself?


I am binding and binding and binding the King Size quilt (still unnamed).



I started a pillow to go with it. That's my favorite block with the masked woman peeking out.

And I've realized why I do better if I just work on one project at a time. I really don't like piecing backings and quilting. So now I'm beginning to get a pile of quilt tops waiting for me while I work on the parts of my projects that I do like! Any tips on growing to like those parts of quilting that just aren't as fun for you?

Holding pattern:
Postage stamp - backing/quilting needed
Samantha's quilt - piecing
Great room curtains

Total WIP: 8

I'm also feeling like I'll never get the sewing room painted. So I'm shutting down the sewing and getting it done. I've decided on a neutral for the wall. I had lots of color in the old house and felt like I was limited with fabrics. Here I'm going with almost white so I can change out linens and decorations more to change the look. Because let's face it, painting is a total PITA and playing with fabrics is more fun! So today I'm going to clean up the room and start prepping the walls. Wish me luck!

Forgot to mention - Go see what every one else is working on over at Freshly Pieced.

12 comments:

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Oooh, I'm going to have to check back later to see if anyone has any tips on getting to love the parts of quilting that are less enjoyable - I'm right there with you. I think I'm the same way, enjoying the whole process of the quilt top, and then stalling out sometimes because I don't love quilt backs, and I love basting even less.

I love your fabric choices for your curtains, and your quilts-in-progress look fantastic. I love the binding on your king size quilt, and the pillows you've started are stunning so far! :)

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Refresh? I pick a fun easy project with fabrics that are wildly different from what it boring the heck out of me. :) Or I bake something.

Your curtain fabrics are great! Do you line them?

I like the binding fabric you are using. Really fun!

Mary said...

I've been having the same problem with my monochrome quilt. I revisited it this week after a long break. It helps me to think about my original vision for it - and remind myself why I was once SO EXCITED about it. It can be a bore to do all the legwork, but if I can think about the finished product, how great [I think] it will look, and how I will have "been up to the challenge" so to speak, I find that I can power through :) Good luck, from what I see in your picture, it will be a beautiful quilt!

Anonymous said...

That's a big battle with the monochromatic quilts I faced, too- being stuck in that sea of the same color was draining! I think it's a good plan to set it aside for a couple of days and then revisit with fresh eyes. I LOVE your curtains! That's a project I need to tackle this summer. Great work!

Jacey said...

The kitchen curtains will be so fantastic! I still can't believe you're binding a KING sized quilt! The coordinating pillows will be awesome.

Lane said...

I have a bad habit of reaching saturation and needing a break from my quilts for a while, just like you described. I've found that it's good to have more than one project going at a time, so I can rotate them out and keep them fun. Unfortunately, i'm making a baby quilt and the baby may be here before I get back to his quilt. Lane

Anonymous said...

Great fabric choice for your binding!

Megan said...

I love everything about this post! That curtain fabric for your kitchen is beautiful! Have fun painting your sewing room. I hope we get to see :)

Lee said...

I know, you really do need a huge amount of yardage for curtains, don't you? And I'm just not good at working with huge pieces of fabric!

Unfortunately I don't really have any tips for growing to like certain parts of quilting. I'm right there with you. I will say that I've grown to hate it LESS as I got better at them. So I guess my only advice is: Keep at it and you'll get used to it eventually. Very motivating, aren't I? : )

Thanks for linking up this week—can't WAIT to see that Parisville quilt! Have a great week.

BijouxBaby said...

I've been working on a monochromatic quilt and I love the fabric so much that I keep coming up with new projects I want to do with it. I'm feeling a little stuck because no one I know IRL quilts, so I'm having a hard time deciding which direction to go.

On the other hand I have a blue and yellow disappearing nine patch that I'm just sick of. I hate leaving projects unfinished, but I just can't get excited about it. Eventually I'll accidentally pile enough stuff on top of it, that I won't have to look at it.

I like every part of quilting right up to the quilting part. Most of that is that I don't think I'm good at it. I'm afraid of ruining all my hard work up to that point. I think it's a chore, so it is.

Anonymous said...

I love that amy butler fabric!!! I've made a couple cute bags from it! =)

Fedulab said...

Have a fun project with this amazing AMY BUTLER fabrics
WOW i'm a lil bit jelaous ^_^
Fede/Fedulab
www.fedulab.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...