Wednesday, February 16, 2011

WIP Wednesday {14}

I have a "sort of" finish this week! My bathroom curtains are finished. But I'm waiting for hubby to hang the curtain rod for them. And I'm not 100% sure about them but more on that in another post.


I've been busy making binding for the king size quilt. I was so excited when Julie over at Jaybird Quilts posted a tutorial for continuous cut bias binding. I had no idea you could do bias binding this way. There was no waste and no sewing a million little pieces together. Since this binding required almost a whole yard of fabric I was sweating as I tried this for the first time, but it worked wonderfully. I will definitely be using this method in the future. Now I need to attach all this binding...



I got the binding and backing for my postage stamp quilt. Now I just need to do something with it. That backing fabric was hard to find. Looks like Central Park is going quick. I took two small pieces since I couldn't find anyone with one big piece for me.



After everyone's recommendations I got the Fons and Porter design wall (with my coupon of course) and some Contact hooks to hang it. I love it so far. Hubby wasn't thrilled to see it hanging in the dining room but since that's my sewing room now, where else would it go?  I've got my monochromatic quilt up there right now. I did go back to my original color scheme. But I guess I shouldn't show it since I'm probably going to enter it in the Modern Quilt Guild Challenge. Are you joining?

In holding pattern:
Make Mine Modern Swap - waiting for fabric
Great Room Curtains
Samantha's Quilt
Painting my sewing/dining room

Only 8 WIP this week!

My question this week - who wants to come hang curtain rods for me? I have about 5 to go up and I have no idea how to do it!

Head over to Freshly Pieced to see what everyone else is working on.

13 comments:

Elizabeth Dackson said...

Oh, yikes, I'm dreadful at hanging curtain rods, too, otherwise I'd offer to help!! Glad to hear you're liking the design wall, isn't it amazing how helpful it is? Thanks for the tip about Central Park, it's one of my favorites right now, so I guess I ought to pick some up before it's all gone. I love your pile of binding, it's going to be gorgeous!!

Anonymous said...

I love bias binding - its so much easier to work with!

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

nice work Becky...ask for a tutorial on hanging curtain rods...seriously; someone has to be an expert at it...I just watch hubby do it...lol.have a great day Bedky

Jacey said...

I love the fabric you chose for your curtains! I'll have to remember that tutorial for continuous binding. I've only made one large quilt, and I didn't find the binding process very difficult, but I'm sure on a KING size quilt, that's serious business!

Melissa said...

That Central Park Fabric is going to look great as a backing!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

Color me jealous. If ever I get the space to myself, I will get a design wall. I love your curtains!
I am thinking about doing the challenge. But it requires fabric. Somehow I need to re-arrange the budget to squeeze in more fabric. :)

Jessica Kelly said...

I loved the binding tutorial also! Good tip on the Central Park! Thats certainly one of my favs right now (along with everyone else!)

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to try that continuous binding tutorial. Thanks for posting the link! I hate making binding, so anything to ease the pain : ) Happy WIP Wednesday!

Megan said...

Oh, can't wait to see your Monochromatic Quilt! Aren't design walls wonderful? It is so motivating to see your quilt in the works. Looks like you have lots of great things in the works, can't wait to see! :)

Jerimi said...

I'm so glad the binding "experiment" worked for you! I haven't worked up my nerve to do binding yet, but I'm bookmarking the link you recommended. Thanks!

Jenniffier said...

Looks like you have got a lot of work ahead of you. Especially those curtain rods :) Thanks for sharing you progress!

randi said...

i like your fabric for the curtains. very nice!

that is one big pile of binding. i have a couple of quilts to bind soon too. not my favorite thing to do! :(

Lee said...

I always do the continuous sewn binding, I can't believe I ever did it any other way! No waste, no sewing all those pieces together, love it. Can NOT wait to see your finished quilt!!!

And thanks for the heads up about Central Park, guess I better go buy some yardage!

Thanks for linking up to WIP Wednesday, have a great week.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...