Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Sometimes simple isn't easy.

My sister asked me to make my nephew a twin size quilt for his first big kid bed.  The only direction I was given was to not make it babyish. This way he could grow into it.  Oh, and blue was the color requested. That really narrows it down right?!  So I had fun shopping for blue since I feel like I work with girly colors a lot. I narrowed my fabrics down to Modern Meadow and Heather helped turn me onto Hope Valley.
The pattern is from the Material Obsession book and it's the first quilt, Avalon. I knew I didn't want to do anything with stars  or flowers or a lot of intricate piecing that a little boy might not go for.  Here is my final product.
 And the back (it really isn't so neon, the sun was shining through it!)

 I have since written a personalized message on the label. And yes, I did go a little cutesy on that green heart fabric. After all, he's 2 1/2 and I'm his aunt. Gotta have some lovey-ness on there!
So why wasn't this easy? The quilting. I thought it would be easy to just mimic the squares with the quilting. I thought I could just put the guide on my walking foot and sew the boxes 2 inches smaller than the blocks.

It was not easy. You really can't pivot the quilt that much and get it under your machine. I wound up doing all the vertical lines at one shot and then all the horizontal lines. That meant drawing on all the "boxes" and tying off each of those corners. I still haven't mastered hiding my threads if anyone has a good tutorial.
Oh well, this funny little guy is worth it.


1 comment:

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Got the answer to my question as to which Material Obsessions quilt you made. It wonderful and so is that little guy who gets to sleep under it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...