Friday, September 28, 2012

Quilt Finish: Houndstooth

You may have already seen this quilt top yesterday during the Sew Sweetness Tula Pink Sew Along. You can go here to see my full review of the pattern. A little bit of my original review got cut off. All it really said though is that Tula Pink rocks and her book is amazing. I absolutely recommend it!

So this is finally quilted and bound and I couldn't wait to show the final product here.


I struggled with how to quilt this (as usual). It's pretty large at 66"x72" (I showed a size reference on the other post) and therefore is bulky under my standard machine for custom quilting. So I decided to play off the way that Angela Walters quilted Tula Pinks version in her book. She did straight lines in the dark herringbones and then a wavy design in the light ones. I took that straight line and extended it through the quilt and spaced it out so it made more of a texture. You can see it more on this photo (apparently bright sunlight is good for showing texture!). I'm really happy with how this turned out and will probably do this again.


I totally miscalculated the fabric I needed for the front and wound up with a lot of extra. It worked out well for the back!


Close up of the fabrics and my labels. I also struggled with the thread choice because I had such contrasting colors. I wound up meeting in the middle and using a soft grey from Essentials Thread (silver, 50 wt). I'm really happy with how it turned out. And my machine was very happy with the thread. I had zero tension issues with this one which is rare for me.


One of the things I didn't talk about in my other post is the fabrics. Specifically that purple solid. My sister (who now owns this quilt) had a specific purple in her living room with the yellow and grey. She sent me a photo and I searched for just the right purple. I finally found it in Cotton Couture Venus. This was the first time I've worked with Cotton Couture (which is from Michael Miller) and I just have to rave about it. It is so soft and fabulous to the touch. It's almost reminded me of voile! But definitely not see-through. I had to be careful with it so it didn't pucker since it was softer/lighter(?) than the other fabrics) but once I got used to it, it was fantastic. I even did the binding with it. I can definitely see myself getting more of this to use for shirts.



I really love this quilt, but it's going to live with my sister in Florida. Guess I'll just have to make another one right??

Quilt stats:
Size66"x72" 
Pattern: Houndstooth by Tula Pink
Fabrics: Woodgrain from Joel Dewberry, Michael Miller Cotton Couture Venus, Kona white and I can't remember the dot fabric! 
Quilted by: Myself
Finished: 9/14/12




13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cotton Couture really is great fabric, isn't it? It feels SO nice.

Katie B said...

LOVE THIS! I want to make one too! And your quilting is awesome.

**nicke... said...

yes, make another one! it is gorgeous!

Katy Cameron said...

It looks fab, well done for getting it done so quickly! I know what you mean about challenging quilting colours, I'm still debating for my TP one which has predominately white solid, but with the crowns in aquas and grey. I need to decide quickly though, I need to get it quilted tomorrow!

Marci Girl said...

It is beautiful Becky! I love the color palette and your quilting, so lovely!

A.J. Dub. (Amy) said...

I LOVE your colors! It is totally gorgeous! 2 Thumbs WAY WAY up!

You should make another one for sure! There is always room for another quilt somewhere. :)

CapitolaQuilter said...

the quilt is lovely

felicity said...

Yes, definitely another one - this is fantastic, Becky!

Denise in PA said...

Love this! The quilting looks great!

Denise in PA said...

Love this! The quilting looks great!

Sophie Belle Designs said...

wow Becky this is one stunning quilt. love everything about it, well done!

Jacey said...

It's beautiful! I just love the pattern. NO doubt your sister is very happy with it!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

I don't know how I missed this post...i am so far behind in my blog reading.
I really love this quilt! It is fantastic!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...