Monday, January 10, 2011

A traditional pillow?


When I took my first quilting class it was a sampler class and we made a lot of traditional blocks. I was fascinated by this one block - the Sunrise Star - and I wanted to see what it looked like in some contemporary fabrics.  So here's my little Sunrise Star pillow in Parisville fabric. I am still unsure about the green border, but I've backed my new quilt in that fabric so I think it will work well once it's sitting on the bed and I tend to fold over the top so the backing shows.
Here's a little closer view so you can see the little mice scampering around the center!

I backed it with Kona ash (which looks really great with this colorway incidentally) and added a little of the purple eye drops.

So what do you all think? Modern? Traditional?  Do you like? Let me know if anyone is interested in a tutorial. I took photos but I haven't edited them.

11 comments:

Lee said...

Ooooh. Love. I'm gonna say "modern twist on traditional." How's that for not answering your question? : )

You should link this up to Sew Modern Monday at Canoe Ridge Creations!

Tiffany said...

I saw modern - it's cute. And i love the little hint of fun on the back! :D

Megan said...

Oooo! This is perfect! :) I love the purple accent with the Kona Ash, looks great!

Thanks for linking up! Happy {Sew} Modern Monday!

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

I'm glad I clicked on the little linky at Canoe Ridge because that pillow looks so stunning much larger! I especially love the center and the points of the star.

Elizabeth Dackson said...

I'm going to have to agree with Lee - it's a bit of both, nothing wrong with that! Great job :)

John'aLee said...

Darling pillow~I like it because it is different!

Lane said...

Would most definitely like a tutorial on that block. And, I love pillows made out of quilt squares, but this pillow looks very modern with those fabrics. I like it. Lane

ktquilts said...

Gt a half yard stack of Parisville in the same colorway for Christmas! Thanks for sharing that you used Kona ash. It lookes great, and the pattern is over the top lovely!

Anorina @SameliasMum said...

I think this is a gorgeous cushion. I'd love a tutorial.

Katie said...

that's a superfun blockand your pillow looks great.

Lindsay said...

I love it!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...