Monday, February 1, 2016

Anchor and Waves


Warning, this will be a picture heavy post because I just love this little quilt. This is my own design and I'm really happy with how it turned out. My sister in Florida asked me to make a quilt for her girlfriend who is having a baby this winter. She's doing a nautical room and my sister requested the coral and navy combo.

 
The fabrics are almost all Michael Millers "the Littles" line (which I see they have now expanded beyond nautical!!) and they are all nautical related. Whales, life preservers, boats and anchors. There are two other prints that weren't from that line that I snuck in, but I don't remember the names. One are little crabs that say "crabby" and the other is a boat print.



I did the clamshells with my AccuQuilt Go clamshell die and sorted them by color so it would mimic waves at the top of the ocean.


The white fabric is actually a tone on tone that looks like a nautical rope.

 
I free motion quilted the whole thing with swirls so it gave a watery effect. I used navy thread on the bottom, a coral in the middle and white on the top and only coral on the back.


The anchor I had designed previously with my Silhoutte Studio software for a past quilt. I printed it and then traced and cut the fabric by hand. I probably could have cut with the Silhoutte, but mine is pretty old and limping along. Sometimes it just eats my fabric at this point! I blanket stitched it to the quilt with my machine.

Label is pieced into the back per usual. Almost time to order more - do I redesign!?

 
And the binding is a gorgeous coral stripe from The Littles line by Michael Miller which I think sets off the quilt perfectly.


And now it's on it's way to Florida for a baby shower next week! I hope the mom loves it as much as I do.

Quilt stats:
Quilt name: Anchor and Waves
Pattern: none, self designed
Fabrics: The Littles plus stash
Finished size: ? forgot to measure!
Finished: January 2016





7 comments:

Ania said...

Wow! It's amazing, I love the fabrics you've used!

Jessica said...

This is amazing! The color combo is perfect. I love the idea of doing clamshells for *some* of the quilt. Great work!

Cynthia said...

Ooh! Cute! I love the anchor! And the quilting is so darling! Looks awesome! :)

Sarah @ FairyFace Designs said...

ThIs is so gorgeous, love the colours and the pattern. The new mum will love it I'm sure.

Denise in PA said...

This is such a fabulous quilt - I love everything about it!!

Anonymous said...

You know I'm gaga for this quilt! Can I ask how/where you get your labels? I've always been terrible about labeling my quilts, but I feel like if I had some one hand I'd actually do it.

momto1 said...

What a genius idea! I have that accuquilt die too, and wondered how other people were using it. This quilt is so sweet. Do you think you'll put out a pattern? I'd love to make it!

Carole S.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...