Thursday, August 13, 2015

A triangle quilt for kids


As usual if you follow me on Instagram (@myfabricobsession) you've seen this quilt in progress. I finally finished the other day. And since it doesn't have a destination, I've decided to donate it to the 100 Quilts for Kids effort! Haven't heard of it? You can get details here. I hope you'll go and donate a quilt to your favorite charity as well.







My quilt specifically will go to Quilts for Kids. They are headquartered locally and I love the work they do.There are branches all over the country so go check them out!!

Back to this quilt. I used a FQ stack of Kate Spain's beautiful Horizon fabric line. For that reason, this quilt will be very hard to part with. I LOVE this line...

These colors are totally my go to colors and they just remind me of seaglass!! How can you not love it? It's so soothing.


I used my new to me AccuQuilt Go! and the isosceles triangle die to cut these. It made it super easy to cut. But then I was a dodo bird and didn't offset my triangles when I pieced it. If you look carefully at my points they aren't so perfect. I say this not to point out my errors, but to say that this was a learning piece. And to share knowledge! If you are piecing isosceles triangles, you need to offset by 1/4" to get a good point.


I'm still thrilled with how this turned out and think someone will be super lucky to have it. I may have snuggled a few nights on the couch with it just so I could stroke the pretty fabrics. Yeah, I admitted that...


Once I knew this was going to be donated, I machine sewed the binding to make sure it was extra strong. The binding is all scraps from the same fat quarter stack.



The backing is more of the extra fabrics and my label pieced in there.  Oh and I had no measurements when I started making this so I had some extra triangles. They went on the back as well!

Quilt stats:
Quilt name: Horizon Triangles
Pattern: none
Fabrics: Horizon by Kate Spain, Kona Cottons
Finished size: 38"x44"
Finished: August 2015






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for contributing to 100 Quilts for Kids! This quilt is gorgeous!

Denise in PA said...

Looks great and I love the quilting on the back! I think I'll join you and donate my Triangle quilt to Quilts for Kids too! o:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...