Friday, August 10, 2012

Success with knits! A t-shirt finish


I just finished this cute little shirt and I couldn't be prouder or more excited! I finally mastered knits! And I did it because of the book, Sewing Modkid Style.

I have struggled with knits before and managed some okay stuff. But this was super easy and went together SO FAST! I just needed the right supplies and information. And Patty Young covers all of that in this book. (I've not been asked or paid to say any of this)

And look what I learned. Most machines have an overlock stitch and it works like a serging stitch (not as great, but definitely works). Here's what it looks like. On my Bernina 240 it's stitch number 3. Looks like a wide zigzag and essentially it takes several stitches on the fabric, then one stitch on the outside.


Here's what the foot looks like for this stitch. Apparently a lot of the machines come with this foot. It has a little bar in the center that hooks the thread and makes it loop over nicely.


And, because everything was working so nicely. My model actually cooperated and let me take her picture! Yup, that's the cheezy grin you get when you ask a 3 yr old to smile.


The knit I used was from Patty Young's Sanctuary line and I got it at QuiltHome.com. Have you ever sewn with knits? Do you have a good source to buy them?


8 comments:

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

I love the knit you have used! And the shirt looks great!
I have sewn with knit but it has been a while...I haven't had a chance to try any of the "designer" knits though.

Jessica Kelly said...

Super cute Becky! I've never tried knits, I'm scared! Maybe I'll give it a try one of these days, that book looks great!

Marci Girl said...

Oh what a great job, it turned out so cute! I have been stock piling knits for a while now, I'm bound and determined to make some shirts for my boys. I have found Hancocks has a great selection over Joanns. I also went through my closet and anything I was going to donate to Goodwill that was a "boy" color I saved to cut into a shirt for them!

Denise in PA said...

Awesome! And she's wearing it - before she gets older! LOLOL! I have that foot, I'll have to give it a shot - thanks for the photos!!

Katy Cameron said...

Aww, the top and the model are both very cute!

Pa Ul said...

Nice design, here is my blue shirt

Susanne said...

AWESOME!!! Kits are tough!

Jacey said...

It's such a cute top! Well done with the knits!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...