Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Pinterest Report #5


This is going to be a quick one. Our house was taken over by Croup so there hasn't been much sewing or cooking going on. Just a lot of sick baby care. The good news is that we are on the upswing so things should get a little more interesting around here soon.

First off - the bad. The original pin:

Honey Garlic Pork Chops.  Mine came out totally bland and boring. But - I followed the directions! As I'm reading the comments and how much people loved them I see that everyone either baked them or marinated them. Neither was on the original directions. I baste them and Mr. FO grilled them. So maybe they would have had much more flavor if they had marinated or cooked in their own juices. I probably won't be trying again to find out. These were so boring no one even wanted the leftovers (unheard of in this house!!).

The good:
Baked Sweet and Sour Chicken with Fried Rice. Okay, I didn't get to make the fried rice because this was the night I had to take Evan to the doctor with his horrible cough. But I'm sure it's pretty good. It looks like other fried rice recipes I've made before.

The chicken though - was amazing! It definitely tastes like fast food chinese, but not greasy or aftertastey (yeah, i just made that word up).  I had to smack the vultures away from the pan in order to have enough for leftovers. It will definitely be made again. And we just ate it with the jasmine rice I had prepped for the Fried Rice. Totally yummie.

And again I have to plug a pin that I posted myself. If you like "high end" Chinese food. You know what I'm talking about right? The stuff from the really good sit down restaurants?  You have to check out this book.
I have easily made a half dozen recipes or more from it and every one has been THE BEST Chinese food I've ever made/eaten. If you want to try a recipe from the book, this is the one that hooked me:

Honey Walnut Shrimp. Seriously unbelievably good! Let me know if you make it, or any of the recipes i've pinned.




5 comments:

Elizabeth Dackson said...

I am so totally checking out that cookbook!!! Thanks for the tip :) I think I've tried that same pork chop recipe with less than thrilling results, so I think you've got the right idea not trying it again. Glad to hear you had one hit out of the bunch you tried, though, with the chicken!

Katie B said...

Oh, that chicken looks good! Sorry about the croup. Poor kid.

felicity said...

I need to stop reading these Pinterest reports at 9:30 at night. I'm hungry!

thanks for the tips!

Katy Cameron said...

Bummer on the croup, hope everyone's back to full health soon!

Funnily enough, I've now got my own Pinterest project under way :o)

http://southbeachpinterestproject.blogspot.co.uk/

**nicke... said...

hope your little guy is feeling better now. loving your pinterest reports, keep them coming! xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...