Sunday, November 1, 2015

Sarcastic/Nerdy Guild swap


The Philly MQG decided to have a Sarcastic/Nerdy swap based off of the online swaps that use profanity or are focused on fandom.  We use Elfster to get matched up for these swaps and you can find out if your partner has an obsession with certain shows, movies or characters through the site. Or based on their sense of humor you could do something a little more risque!


I wasn't 100% sure of my partners use of profanity so I stuck with some quilting fun.  This bag challenged me several times. It's a Noodle Head pattern called the Caravan Tote which I highly recommend. What challenged me was getting the heat transfer on their correctly.  My original design was based off of one on CafePress that I can't get to load up here. (just google Serial Quilter and you'll find it.)  I made myself a t-shirt as a tester.

Then when I started to do the bag, I just resized it, cut it out on my silhouette and put it on the piece before sewing it to the bag. However, I had not read the whole bag pattern yet and didn't realize the bottom of the bag required 3" of the side panel in order to make the boxed bottom! All of a sudden my quilter girl was too big and I had no more heat transfer material!!



What you see is the result of re-thinking. I decided to enlarge the rotary cutter and scissors and cut from a sparkly iron-on that I was able to get locally.



The bag itself is so cool! Inside the side panel (and my awesome rainbow zipper) is a subdivided pocket for tools.


Another pocket inside the bag itself, and then snap closures.  I did the handles with fabric covered webbing.

And because swaps always require a little more love, I found a few things to include. This funny little pin:

And I made this little zip pouch out of sewing themed fabrics.



She loved everything! Now to get working on our retreat swap project!!

2 comments:

Pat said...

She didn't just love everything, she LOVED EVERYTHING! I took it to Burkholder's last weekend as the carrier for some fabrics I was looking ton match. LOTS of great comments! You did a great job, girlfriend!

Denise in PA said...

This is such a fabulous bag! And sometimes mistakes lead to better things. I love the sparkly iron-ons! And, it was a great use for the really cool zipper!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...