Thursday, October 21, 2010

A choo choo train

I did go to my jury duty and was not selected. Yay! I'm grateful because it was a criminal trial for assault with a deadly weapon and I would have been a wreck. It was a long day though. Pretty amazing to see how the system works.




On to more fun things, I finished one of the first quilts I pieced. I think this was the 3rd quilt I put together. But since doing the actual quilting is one of my least favorite parts, it has sat for a while waiting to be finished.

I made this one before I discovered all the "designer fabrics", but I'm still happy with how it turned out. I wanted to make something for my nephew who is 2 and loves Thomas the train. Here is the finished quilt.

This is the Thomas fabric that I started with.

I pieced a little along with my label into the back.

I did a custom printed label for him. Unfortunately, I wound up getting a bunch right over it when I quilted it. I didn't notice it until I put the binding on. I'm debating whether I should pull that line out and re-do it or just leave it. What do you think? Any tips on how to deal with these gathering issues?

Something new to me this time was the thread I used for the quilting. I couldn't decide on a color so I decided to try a rainbow thread that was blue/orange/yellow. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. When looking at it from further away the quilting looks like it disappears and comes back. And I think that helps my straight lines look a little straighter!  How do you decide on your quilting thread?

3 comments:

grandmarockton said...

very nice job! doesn't every little boy like THOMAS?

SplendidlyImperfect said...

Your quilts are all coming out so cute! That's a bummer about that line. Do you think pulling it out would fix it?

Susan said...

I really like your quilt label.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...