Monday, October 31, 2016

Boomerang quilt

I have another boomerang quilt to share. This one's pattern is from Jaybird Quilts. I loved her take in only solids so I decided to do all solids as well. I used Moda Blueberry Thicket bunch for this and added navy for the outside.

Once the quilt top was put together un-quilted, I realized it need custom quilting or the pattern was going to disappear.

So I took my knowledge of ruler work on a domestic which I've learned from Amy Johnson and got to work!

Some of these boomerangs were done free motion and some were straight lined.

This was definitely an exercise in patience! It took me a few weeks on my little Bernina, but I had Orange is the New Black to keep me entertained. I think I'm one of the last people to have watched that show! Haha!

But I'm glad I did it, and am thrilled with the results. And - my quilting skills definitely improved throughout the top! The back is one big wideback. It needed to be simple after the detail on the front!

I took this to the park for a photoshoot and the kids ran around like crazy while I took photos...

This one is definitely staying with me for the time being. It's going to be a while before I'm ready to part with this I think!

Quilt stats:
Quilt name: Blueberry Boomerang
Fabrics: Blueberry Thicket Moda Bundle
Finished size: 56" by 72"
Finished: September 2016

Friday, October 28, 2016

Seagreen Clamshell and Octopus and Auction time!

My latest in the clamshell series is Mr. Octopus. I shifted to a sea-green color scheme for this one and again worked all from stash. I think I could make nautical quilts for the next 3 years and not run out of fabrics!

I'm also really perfecting my wavy free motion quilting! I might use it on everything going forward! There is a whole mixture of fabrics in here from Tula Pink's Neptune, to Heather Rosas Under The Sea as well as some fabrics with texture like prints.

The back is more of the Grunge print that I used as the 'sky' on the front and more of the green ocean color with my label pieced in.

And it's time again for the Circle of Life Auction at my work, Doylestown Health. The proceeds from this auction go to support our Cancer and Hospice programs. I've donated this quilt to the auction and bidding is held online. So if you've wanted one of my quilts and want to support a good cause at the same time, this is your opportunity! The link is here to view and bid.

Quilt stats:
Quilt name: Clamshells and Octopus
Pattern: original design
Fabrics: stash
Finished size: didn't get final measurements. approx 50"x60"
Finished: September 2016

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Clamshell and Whale

**This quilt is now for sale in my Etsy shop**

The next in my series of clamshell/wave quilts is Mr. Whale. For this one I went back to the coral color palate because I still had plenty of this fabric left to use.

Not much to say about this one. It's very similar to the last one, here's a close up of Mr. Whale and the quilting. It was again free motion on my domestic Bernina.

For the back I found lots of cool stash prints to use.

Here's a close up of the fabrics within the clamshell waves:

The binding is scrappy, made from the prints within the clamshells.

And my label is pieced in the back as usual.

If you know anyone who would like this quilt, it is listed in my Etsy shop.

Quilt stats:
Quilt name: Clamshells and Whale
Pattern: original design
Fabrics: stash
Finished size: approx 50" by 60"
Finished: August 2016

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Clamshell with Seahorse

**This quilt is now for sale in my Etsy shop**

After designing this Clamshell and Anchor quilt, I thought it might be fun to play with the idea in different colorways and see what I could come up with. The next few posts will be some of the results I've had with that experiment.

My first version is using a similar blue on blue color scheme with a cute little seahorse (they are one of my favorite sea creatures). Here's a close up of the little guy!

As you can see from the first photo, I was lucky enough to have this quilt chosen for a Philly MQG  Exhibition at the Mancuso quilt show. It hung next to Andrew Joslyn's modern quilt.

And I got the obligatory shot of me with the quilt!

Some details on it... here is a better shot of the fabrics used in the clams. This was all stash...surprise, I have a lot of nautical fabrics!

And this one is a better view of the quilting. I did this free motion on my little domestic Bernina.

The blue ocean fabric is a jaquard and the photo below shows the cool blue dots that are on it. I don't know enough about how this fabric is made, but the spots aren't printed, they are done with the weave somehow.

The back is more stash pieces put together with my label.

I'm really happy with this little guy and hope you enjoy seeing a few variations of this quilt in the future!

Quilt stats:
Quilt name: Clamshells and Seahorse
Pattern: original design
Fabrics: stash
Finished size: 58" by 70"
Finished: August 2016


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...